Management is all about making decisions.To make rational decisions,we go through a process very similar to that be it for problem solving we need to:
- Be clear about the choices available and the criteria against which the choice should be made.
- obtain sufficient information in order to assess the choices.and
Come to a decision.
Decision making rarely follows the process set out above as we tend to make the decision based on:
- past experience
- Knowdge and other organizations
- Recent training
- creativity and
- Personal abilities
We make decisions under time constraints and often without comprehensive information.Therefore decision making is rarely rational.
However,in order to make your decision making as effective as possible,be sure you know the following:
- What exactly are you trying to decide?
- Who needs to be involved?
- How should they be involved?
When must you decide?